In a report on the dangers of legislating in lame-duck sessions, the South Carolina Republican argues, “The American people were never presented with competing ‘lame duck’ agendas, so Washington has no business trying to pass one. Conservatives may not like the policy outcome in any case, but rejecting the ‘lame duck’ and achieving an honest, transparent process respectful of the American people and our republican institutions is significant in its own right.” [...]He's right. These decision needs to be made by a Congress that can be held accountable for them, not the zombies.
The report likens lame-duck lawmakers—those who have lost a re-election campaign or are retiring but are still in office until the 113th Congress convenes in January—to zombies.
“They are free, for two months and at taxpayer expense, to vote for whatever they please ... without their constituents being able to do anything about it,” the report says.
There are certain things you just don't expect ever to put in writing, particularly here. And this is one of them: I agree with Sen. Jim DeMint.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Armando, Gooserock, exNYinTX, antirove, wdrath, Emmy, marina, OpherGopher, 417els, blueoasis, gpoutney, kurt, leonard145b, Involuntary Exile, Larsstephens, annieli, Jamie Sanderson, jolux, a2nite, This old man, mapamp, Linda1961, Marcellus Shale, RUNDOWN
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Joan McCarter
- I am sad, but also excited, to announce that after 11 years I am leaving Daily Kos and joining Raintank , where I will be working on monitoring software and doing devsy-opsy. It's been a long and ...115 comments 272 Recs
- Obamacare is such a failure, it can't even kill the jobs Republicans said it would!77 comments 157 Recs
- In Paraguay, a 10 year old girl was being raped by her step-father. Her mother reported the abuse to authorities but was ignored. The child's stomach began to swell and the mother, thinking ...25 comments 51 Recs
- Wow, Mitt Romney. Just wow. At a time when even many Republicans are pretending to care about ...74 comments 68 Recs
- On Saturday at 8 AM PT, the tech team will be moving Daily Kos from its current web host to Amazon's Web Services. We'll be taking the site down for an estimated one to three hours while we move our ...130 comments 133 Recs
- A daily series, Connect! Unite! Act! seeks to create face-to-face networks in each congressional district. Groups ...135 comments 58 Recs
- Nancy Pelosi's San Francisco chief of staff Dan Bernal meets with Daily Kos, CREDO Action, Sum of Us, Electronic Frontier Foundation & Corporate Accountability ...14 comments 60 Recs
- Ho. Lee. Crap. Check out this press release from Florida Governor and Lord Voldemort impersonator Rick Scott:35 comments 52 Recs
- In a move which stunned many Court observers—certainly including me—the ...58 comments 62 Recs
- Johno Espejo (left) and Matthew Mansell, a plaintiff couple in the marriage equality case, being interviewed outside the Supreme Court.52 comments 74 Recs
Joan McCarter's Tags
- No current results.
Joan McCarter's Blogroll
- No current results.