In a report on the dangers of legislating in lame-duck sessions, the South Carolina Republican argues, “The American people were never presented with competing ‘lame duck’ agendas, so Washington has no business trying to pass one. Conservatives may not like the policy outcome in any case, but rejecting the ‘lame duck’ and achieving an honest, transparent process respectful of the American people and our republican institutions is significant in its own right.” [...]He's right. These decision needs to be made by a Congress that can be held accountable for them, not the zombies.
The report likens lame-duck lawmakers—those who have lost a re-election campaign or are retiring but are still in office until the 113th Congress convenes in January—to zombies.
“They are free, for two months and at taxpayer expense, to vote for whatever they please ... without their constituents being able to do anything about it,” the report says.
There are certain things you just don't expect ever to put in writing, particularly here. And this is one of them: I agree with Sen. Jim DeMint.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Armando, Gooserock, exNYinTX, antirove, wdrath, Emmy, marina, OpherGopher, 417els, blueoasis, gpoutney, kurt, leonard145b, Involuntary Exile, Larsstephens, annieli, Jamie Sanderson, jolux, a2nite, This old man, mapamp, Linda1961, Marcellus Shale, RUNDOWN
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Joan McCarter
- Early results in the marriage equality referendum indicate a very strong showing for the yes vote. It's looking like a celebratory mood is emerging already within the Irish gay community, although ...175 comments 176 Recs
- Let’s say that you are a bit older, overweight, out of shape, and making your only visit to Glacier National Park. Now this is a National Park filled with hiking trails and lots of young, ...15 comments 34 Recs
- Need a bit of inspiration this morning? I've got just the story for you. On Tuesday, two men showed up on a street corner in Tillamook, Oregon, with signs reading "Homo sex is sin" and "Jesus said ...118 comments 418 Recs
- DKos Radio's KITM podcast (AUDIO): Greg & Joan blast 'bad intel' BS; TPP shell game targets MedicareWe kicked off with a recap of the ...1 comments 4 Recs
- Why even bother? Well, you guys went ahead and did a press avail, and ...267 comments 288 Recs
- Yes, it's been a while since I've done a GunFAIL update here at Daily Kos. But no, I never stopped keeping records on accidental shootings, guns left behind in bathrooms, and the like. In fact, I ...82 comments 255 Recs
- New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie takes on civil liberties, domestic espionage, and ...106 comments 47 Recs
- (Click to enlarge) Follow Jen on Twitter at @...81 comments 95 Recs
- Seeking to avoid the multi-day saga that Jeb Bush endured ...145 comments 154 Recs
- Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse of Rhode Island gave his 20-minute pilot floor speech on climate change in October 2011. But he began his weekly series with a climate change speech in April 2012. Since ...30 comments 81 Recs
Joan McCarter's Tags
- No current results.
Joan McCarter's Blogroll
- No current results.