Skip to main content

I had planned to publish this last night, but I was late in coming home from a job site and combined with getting the kids together for the next day and what not, had just forgotten about it.

The point of this diary is an expansive response to a comment from a diary recently

In that diary , and I refuse to call out people out of respect, a comment was made following

I don't know why anyone would let their children
... leave the house, period.
Because so many things are as dangerous as guns.
Let's explore that a little beyond our little orange ridge

As the diary starts off, let us not mince words. Guns of all forms are instruments designed and engineered to kill. They are weapons designed to kill as efficient as possible. Period, end of story, there is no debate on this merit. They are a tool of death, designed to deliver the end sum to whatever it is pointed as, as fastest as possible.

Now, this tool operates just like any other. In the hands of a skilled operator of said tool, it can provide a family with the protein it might need for the winter; like many a hunter do so in say Northern Michigan when hunting deer. However, just like any tool it has it's misuse and is used in delivering it's intended design on whoever might have wronged said user in the heat of the moment.

At the end of the day though, it is nothing more than a tool. A tool we humans have devised to make our lives easier. A tool that has wrought quite a large amount of suffering, but also has been responsible for giving us the life we live.

That said, it is ultimately a tool. A tool that reaps consequences on those who might use it.

Would you leave a circular saw plugged in and in the open among toddlers? Would you leave a nail gun primed and charged among the same? Would you leave an axe out amongst your kids even?

The point being is that a gun is a tool, and like all tools we as humans have created in our current history, they require respect, training, and restraint in their use.

So as a response to that previous comment, let's be serious and realize what these items are and recognize that any action that can keep them out of the hands of children is a wise action.

No matter what your stance on gun ownership is.

Lock em up, and be safe people. Us on the left don't want to take them away, just want to make sure they don't end up in the wrong hands. Help us do that.

EMAIL TO A FRIEND X
Your Email has been sent.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.

Add keywords that describe this diary. Separate multiple keywords with commas.
Tagging tips - Search For Tags - Browse For Tags

?

More Tagging tips:

You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?

You must be a member of a group to use this feature.

Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
(The diary will be removed.)
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?

Comment Preferences

•  Tip Jar (11+ / 0-)

--Enlighten the people, generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like spirits at the dawn of day. - Thomas Jefferson--

by idbecrazyif on Thu Jul 03, 2014 at 09:10:03 PM PDT

•  Spot on! (5+ / 0-)

I took note of the comment that you used  when I read that diary.

“Listen--are you breathing just a little, and calling it a life?” ― Mary Oliver

by weezilgirl on Thu Jul 03, 2014 at 09:23:39 PM PDT

•  Yes, secure guns are definantely the way to go. (1+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:
    idbecrazyif

My father recently got a pistol and he won't even tell me the combination for the safe. And I'm 21 with no criminal record or history of mental instability and he trusts me enough go shooting with him. I'm not complaining though, I know its nothing personal, just a policy. I also can't wait for smart guns to be a real thing. It keeps kids from shooting themselves and if some asshole gets a hold of it he'd better hope throwing it at me does the trick because it sure as hell won't fire any ammo! Now that's my type of gun control.

•  I think smart guns are going to revolutionize (1+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:
      linguist2011

The industry. The first time I saw one, I knew that it was the future.

Now granted like anything, build a better mouse trap and someone will invent a better mouse, meaning someone somewhere will figure out a way to hack them.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't push and try them though!

by idbecrazyif on Fri Jul 04, 2014 at 02:57:50 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Smart guns won't change anything. The signal st... (1+ / 0-)
        Recommended by:
        linguist2011

Smart guns won't change anything. The signal strength needs to be strong to function reliably, and at that strength it works just as well without regard to the holder.

And those who think guns are magical are I think more likely to rely on that magic smart gun tech and then will be nastily surprised when their magic fails them.

Think of it like Bluetooth, your headset connects to your phone whether it is in your pocket or someone else's hands or even sitting on a table. It just needs to be in range. Duh. Which is one way I tracked down my phone one day when I misplaced it. I retraced my steps trying my earpiece over and over until it connected, which narrowed my search area quite well. That same second-grade level of deduction works for the smart gun designs I've seen proposed. It is sad that this even needed to be pointed out. Where have all the critical thinkers gone?

•  That is definantly point worth considering, (0+ / 0-)

but I think there might be a way around it. I'm not exceedingly tech savvy but it doesn't seem like it would be too hard to program the gun to stay locked unless the user's id chip is within a certain proximity of the gun. So even if the gun picks up the signal, it would stay locked unless the id chip was within say 6" of the gun. That way the signal is strong enough to be effective but it would probably stop anyone from grabbing the gun from your holster and shooting you with it.

I'm with you on the "magic gun" thing. Even if smart gun technology would work as I described it, I wouldn't trust it enough to not secure my gun when its not in use. Technology can fail at the worst possible time, trust me I've gone through 3 Xbox 360s in as many years!

But come to think of it, this kind of technology might be able to work on gun safes too, but if the electronics fail, you can still open the safe with a combination/key. Just reach for the safe and once your hand is close enough, the door pops open, allowing you to keep your weapon secure and be ready to quickly use it in an emergency at the same time.

It's new technology, it may have some problems now but I think it has potential in the long run. I guess time will tell.

•  See down thread (0+ / 0-)

For about why it needs 8 foot range. Or more possibly.

MLK Jr 7 days before being killed: "Maybe we just have to admit that the day of violence is here, and maybe we have to just give up and let violence take its course. The nation won't listen to our voice - maybe it'll heed the voice of violence."

by JayFromPA on Sat Jul 05, 2014 at 05:17:08 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  That is not how the smart chip tech works (0+ / 0-)

In fact they could not farther from different in how they operate. Blue tooth was designed to be inclusive where as rfid crypto was designed to be exclusive. To break current tech requires there base key at least.

Your comment is disingenuous at best

by idbecrazyif on Sat Jul 05, 2014 at 05:13:19 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Just needs to be in range. (0+ / 0-)

I wasn't talking about some hacker taking control of the gun.

I was talking about the transmitter and the so-called 'smart' gun being in range. The "smart" gun only detects the transmitter signal, without any detection of who's hands are on the trigger.

So you misunderstood what I was saying.

Put the 'chip' in a ring. Make it broadcast a signal that is 100% reliable within one foot, and the cop that must shoot off-hand due to dominant-hand injury will die. Therefore the range must reach as far as the cop can extend arms - upwards of six feet. Make it longer to account for the random huge people, and now you are talking upwards of a seven foot or even eight foot range. But that also means that ANYONE holding that gun within range can pull the trigger.

And that such nonsense tech is called 'smart' can easily lead the public to think that it is more capable than it really is. Security theater leading to a false sense of safety, that would turn into a nasty surprise when that bubble of 'smart' gun propaganda bumps up against the real world and pops.

by JayFromPA on Sat Jul 05, 2014 at 07:51:23 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Again it actually works better than that (0+ / 0-)

Rfid tech is only the start which works like you say within proximity to the chip and or user. Newer tech coming out is vastly more advanced recognizing the individual biometrics and when combined with proximity tech allows the weapon a near flawless recognition rate

Look for a company out of Australia and even here locally at Colt who are pioneering this advance to

by idbecrazyif on Sat Jul 05, 2014 at 09:20:17 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  "Look for a company"...? Really? (0+ / 0-)

You're describing vaporware - tech as substantial as a light breeze.

You might as well be talking about our current day problem of fossil fuels and  telling us to be in the lookout for some new Mr Fusion that will run our electric cars.

by JayFromPA on Sat Jul 05, 2014 at 05:27:07 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  intelligun.com (0+ / 0-)

I'm usually mobile which makes copying and pasting a chore so no its not vapor tech it does exist. Of course a simple 2 second Google search could have shown you this before you decided to reply and portray yourself as being purposely obtuse

by idbecrazyif on Mon Jul 07, 2014 at 05:29:14 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Actually, I do want to take them away. (1+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:
    idbecrazyif

Because their only purpose is to kill and I am against killing.

"Problems can not be solved by the level of awareness that created them", Albert Einstein.

by Bubbatoby on Fri Jul 04, 2014 at 08:32:22 AM PDT

•  I would too, but I also realize the impossibility (0+ / 0-)

Like a mentioned above, there are still people in this nation who literally live by their skill with a rifle. For instance in the upper reaches of Michigan are some of the poorest in the nation and many of those people only have access to protein through hunting animals like Deer, Rabbits, etc...

I recognize to take their access to firearms would be the equivalent of taking their livelihood away.

by idbecrazyif on Fri Jul 04, 2014 at 02:54:27 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  The part I took exception to was... (2+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:
    notrouble, idbecrazyif
    I don't know why anyone would let their children... leave the house, period.
    There really IS such a thing as over-protecting your children.

My mother over-protected me.   Granted she had some reason.  My older and only sister died when I was 23 months old.  She was only six, and died of one of those odd genetic diseases.  I think now they call it Hurler-Scheie, but then they called it gargoylism.

Mom became the proverbial "hen with one chick."  From that time until I graduated high school, I was not allowed to go anywhere alone.  When my mother passed away, I was devastated and it took me three years to learn how act on my own.

Children cannot learn to cope with the world outside the house, unless you allow them to be exposed to it.

“Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other "sins" are invented nonsense. (Hurting yourself is not sinful -- just stupid.)” ― Robert A. Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

by midgebaker on Fri Jul 04, 2014 at 10:23:54 AM PDT

•  Ohh I agree, there is I think a happy medium (0+ / 0-)

And I think we can agree that leaving a loaded firearm unlocked in a house crosses that happy divide.

by idbecrazyif on Fri Jul 04, 2014 at 02:51:08 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site